Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 3 month old male kitten just started acting distressed…

Customer Question
My 3 month old...

My 3 month old male kitten just started acting distressed and backed himself into a corner and started meowing. Then he walked to near the litter box and pooped outside of it. it was semi solid and semi-bile like but not watery. it also has some blood in it. then he walked into the living room and threw up a quarter size pile. now he's acting subdued but not distressed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?

Not that i can think of. hes is up to date on his vaccines and just finished being treated for ear mites a little over a week ago.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/9/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

What is he bringing up in his vomit?

How much blood did you see in the stool (spoonful, more or less)?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

He has mostly digested food in the vomit, has some small streaking of blood in stool, and can keep water down. He is keeping some chicken down this morning, his gums are pink and moist, he has no problems with his stomach when I press on it. I caught him a string in his mouth earlier but grabbed it from him before he could do anything with it. He hasn't shown interest in eating anything other than food so far.

Hello again,

First, I am glad to see his gums are normal and that his stomach is comfortable but we do need to be careful if he is a mischievous lad. This is because the vocalizing/backing into the corner can just be a kitty behaviour representing them trying to get away from what us causing them GI upset, but it is something I sometimes see when they do have belly pain from foreign bodies (as they just don't understand that they cannot get away from internal issues). So, that is a worry as would be a possible bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or dietary indiscretion.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care. Further to the chicken, you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Otherwise, the chicken is fine but just to note you can also use boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too.

Finally, as dehydration is a risk in these situations, do keep an eye on his hydration. To check that, there are a few things you can look for. Besides gum moisture, make sure his eyes aren't sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check those dehydration signs, here is a good video ( http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html ) to look at. If you do see any signs of dehydration already, that's our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start the above supportive now. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, exclude infections and just make sure he hasn't anything stuck in his GI. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian