Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat's ear is swollen. it looks like a sist orsomething on…

My cat's ear is...

My cat's ear is swollen. it looks like a sist orsomething on hit. he has been scratching it alot.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is about four years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Blackie?

Not that i can think of at the moment

12/9/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Does the ear or part of it look like a balloon? If so, you're seeing an aural hematoma - blood serum has collected between the cartilage of the ear and the skin. This occurs when the cartilage is damaged and bleeds...in this case because Blackie has been scratching at the ear. In most cases I'll find infection (bacterial, yeast, mites) in the ear and so two things need to be done. The first is attending to the hematoma by lancing it and keeping it open to drain over a period of 1-3 weeks. This is a surgical procedure. The second is swabbing the ear and examining the swab microscopically to see if abnormal numbers of bacteria or yeast as well as mites are present and then treat the infection specifically. Without doing so, the hematoma is likely to return due to yet more scratching at the ear. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

thank you for youre response, sir. whatwould be the best to cut it open? or should i take Blackie to a vet and have them sedate him and do it?
also what would be the best earmite treatment for him?

You're quite welcome. Please believe me when I tell you that you don't want to do the cutting. You'll have a furious biting and scratching Blackie on your hands. Yes, please have him attended to by his vet who has better ear mite medications to prescribe than you can find over the counter. First of all we need to confirm that ear mites are present. Mites are more a problem in much younger cats than Blackie. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Alright. I’ll make an appointment for him to go in. Thank you again.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?