Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat stopped eating and is lethargic. Adelaide. She is 2…

Customer Question
My cat stopped eating...

My cat stopped eating and is lethargic.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Adelaide. She is 2 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Adelaide?

She had a rabies vaccination one week ago today and a PV/RCP vaccination 8 days ago.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/9/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth - I'm so sorry your question wasn't responded to sooner - different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about Adelaide's problem, and want to help. To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

I'm sorry Adelaide isn't feeling well, when was the last time she ate that you know of? Has she had any vomiting recently?

She has not eaten in 2 days. She is vomiting-- liquid.

So that is very concerning if she has been obviously not feeling well since Friday and now has progressed to vomiting. Cats try very hard to put on a brave face and not let on that anything is bothering them, so when we can see multiple signs of illness, it can potentially be quite serious.

Are there any plants in the house she may have eaten, or anything else she might have gotten into?

Does she go outside or is she indoors all the time?

It is always a judgement call about taking them in to a 24 hour emergency clinic vs waiting until regular business hours to be seen - it would not be overly cautious to have her seen today if she is still lethargic and vomiting, but if you opt to wait I would absolutely call your vet first thing in the morning to be seen. There are many things that can cause vomiting and lethargy, but especially in young cats we worry about eating things they shouldn't (even if you don't know you are missing something) and potential for foreign body obstruction that can become life threatening.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask-

If anything seems to be worsening with your pet’s condition, especially any breathing difficulty, it is never overly cautious to seek medical attention at an emergency hospital, check for closest to you at vetlocator.com .

If the information I've provided has been helpful, I hope you'll take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking on the star rating system (or if you are not seeing the stars you can leave a written rating of 1-5, 5 being great service). Until you issue a rating of 3 or better, the website will not compensate me for helping you, and taking the time to answer these questions helps me to support my family. You'll still be able to chat with me even after giving a rating, at no further charge on this thread. My goal is to give you 5 star service - keep in mind you are rating only my help, not response time or any site or interface issues you might have. It is valuable feedback for me and for other pet owners as they seek help for their pets.

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800