Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is vomiting foam. No it didnt It has been vomiting…

Customer Question
Hi, my cat is...

Hi, my cat is vomiting white foam

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

No it didnt It has been vomiting since yesterday he was out for few hours tho I took him to the vet, he said he could have something in the stomach. do you think that could be right? it had an injection today

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Thanks for your helo help gati 8 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

GatI GATI

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/8/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that your little one Gati isn't feeling himself today, vomiting foam since yesterday after being outside for a bit, lethargic and just not himself.

Vomiting foam simply is a mix of air and stomach/esophageal mucous made when he retches, it is not indicative of any particular disease process but tells us he is quite nauseous.

Is he running a fever (rectal temperature greater then 103F)?

Does he have a tense, painful abdomen with gentle pressure on his belly with your hands?

Yes, it is possible that he is vomiting because he has a foreign body stuck in his stomach or intestinal tract. Was any diagnostic testing done to try to determine why he is vomiting? Or did you choose symptomatic treatment (medication only) to see if he got better?

Vomiting and nausea can be due to stress, a change in diet, parasites, a viral or bacterial infection, eating something he should not (like a piece of a toy or string), inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. But it can also be related to metabolic organ disease (such kidney or liver disease) due to organ wastes irritating the gut or an obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract.

Please check the litter box to make sure that there are the normal amounts of urine being passed. Male cats can get urethral obstructions due to inflammation, mucous and crystal formation. If they cannot urinate they quickly go into kidney failure due to back-pressure on the kidneys from being unable to urinate and that can cause vomiting and abdominal pain. If he is quite uncomfortable with abdominal pressure, has been back and forth to the litter box several times today, and you cannot tell whether he is urinating normally today an emergency veterinary visit is best.

But if he can urinate fine then there are some things we can do to try and settle his stomach.

To try and settle his stomach today you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation.

I would wait to feed him any food for a good 6-12 hours after the acid reducers are started. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or clear broths like low salt chicken broth offered frequently are fine as he needs fluids. You can give him pedialyte to replace electrolytes too, though most cats don't like the taste.

If he stops vomiting after his food fast offer him a bland diet mix of 2/3 boiled, white skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, mixed with 1/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day.

Once he feels better (no retching for 48 hours) start mixing in his regular cat food very slowly, less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert him back.

If Gati is continuing to vomit, runs a fever or has a tense painful abdomen and is feeling poorly though it would be best that he see a veterinarian now as anything you give him orally will just come back up worsening his dehydration.

Best of luck with Gati, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian