Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My 14-week old kitten is lethargic, has diarrhea, isn't

My 14-week old kitten...

My 14-week old kitten is lethargic, has diarrhea, isn't eating. He had a distemper shot 3 days ago (quite awhile ago), and started having diarrhea one day later (with all other symptoms). I found a smooshy earplug on the floor today, with about 1/4 bitten off (the size of a pencil eraser). Could he have eaten it, and would something of this size pass? What should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the kitten will be able to digest that. What is the kitten's name?

Mishka - he's a Siberian

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?

No. otherwise has been active and happy- before this incident

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/8/2017
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

I'm so sorry to hear that Mishka isn't feeling well.

Thank you for the detailed description of his lethargy, diarrhea and lack of appetite.

When did he last eat?

Has he had any vomiting?

He has been drinking water.
He has eaten a bit very day. Today he ate a bite of wet food and a bit of dry.
No vomiting
Just diarrhea several times and has a gurgley stomach

Ok, it is encouraging that he is not vomiting. If he ate the piece of ear plug, yes a piece that size has the potential to obstruct in a kitten that small. Typically kittens will have vomiting however, if they are obstructing from a foreign body.

He may be passing the ear plug piece, or he may be having GI distress for another reason.

Since is he so small, lethargic and having a poor appetite, I recommend having him seen by his veterinarian as soon as you are able. His stool can be tested for parasites or a bacterial imbalance.

He may need fluids for his dehydration from all the diarrhea.

He was just at the vet 3 days ago for a distemper shot. Could this be a remaining side effect of the shot?

His symptoms may be from a vaccine reaction, but typically any diarrhea from a vaccine reaction should be self resolving after a day. I'm concerned that it has continued to progress and that his appetite is so severely affected.

Regardless if vaccine related, I recommend updating your veterinarian as to his condition as it sounds like he needs supportive care at this time.

Thank you

You are very welcome. I wish you both the best and a speedy recovery to Mishka.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

If you’d like to request me in the future for your pet-related questions, you can contact me at this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drdenise/?rpt=3800

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian