Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 6 month old kitten was spayed on Tues. By Wed. morning,

Customer Question
Hi , My 6...

Hi , My 6 month old kitten was spayed on Tues. By Wed. morning, she would not eat or drink and I could hear a rattling in her throat. I took her back to the vet and she took an x-ray and told me that Sunshine had pneumonia. She gave her 0.32 Convenia and 0.03 Metacam by injection and also injected subcutaneous fluids. The next morning, Sunshine was worse. She still had had nothing to eat or drink, she was mouth breathing with difficulty and she was hiding from me. I took her back to the vet and they gave her some oxygen and kept her. I called at 1:00 and was told that she still had an elevated temp (106) had more congestion, was still on oxygen, had given her a 2nd antibiotic (different) and they wanted to keep her overnight. How could this happen? I took in a very healthy 6 month old kitten to be spayed and now have this very sick cat. What could have caused this

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the kitten's name?

Her name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sunshine?

She is an outdoor cat but was very healthy, seemed to be fine on Tues night when I brought her home and was hardly moving and in distress on Wed. morning.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/8/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. I'm sorry to hear about your kitten. Do you happen to know if they did any bloodwork at your vet including an FelV/FIV test (also called a Combo test)? There might have been something going on underlying that was subclinical and the anesthesia brought out an underlying disease.
I don't think so because I wasn't charged for it.
Ok, that would be my recommendation would be to see if they will run some blood work so we can figure out why this happened. Sometimes it is a combination of an immature immune system being exposed to a virulent bacteria or virus during a compromised state (anesthesia), but it would be nice to know if there's more to it than that so we can get her the best treatment possible to get her better faster.
they have already said that her immune system was compromised and that was the reason for the pneumonia
Blood work might help give more information in this case. Might give them a better idea of how vest to treat as well.
I'll get in touch with them to see if they did any blood work
Ok
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Checking in, JACustomer. How is Sunshine doing at this time?

Unfortunately, my beautiful kitten died. Thank you but I will not need your services anymore.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse