Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I've had my oldest cat for 4 years and my youngest for 3…

Customer Question
I've had my oldest...

I've had my oldest cat for 4 years and my youngest for 3 years and have separate litter boxes. I've been using the same litter for 4 years and haven't had a problem. Suddenly Jackson ( my older one) won't poop in his box and uses the dining room floor. Any thoughts why he has suddenly changed?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Jackson

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jackson?

I work shift work. 2 months of day and 2 months of nights, I've just switched to nights. I've been working this schedule for 8 years, but he did just start this when I switched. How can I reassure him.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/8/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian

Hello,I am Dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry about Jackson. I had a cat that started doing the exact same thing. I will try to work through this with you. I am working on a response right now and will be back shortly.

So you provided some really good information. The fact that there was a change in the home can play a significant role in the life of a cat and their overall behavior. The other thing that happens with many older cats, is that as they age they will sometimes become more constipated or have harder stool. This might just be age related, but can also present if there is some other concurrent disease. If a cat is having any type of pain associated with defecation they will sometime stop using the litter box because they associate it with pain.

So here are a few suggestions.

1. IN a perfect world you would have some blood work completed on him to ensure that there is no other underlying disease present.

2. Environmental enrichment- sounds crazy, I know, but when you are home, spend extra time with him. He may not be much of a playful cat at this point, but if he likes to be brushed or held, try to spend a little extra time with him.

3. Feliway or comfort zone- This is a plug in diffuser or spray that can be used for behavior problems and can sometimes help with stress and inappropriate elimination. It is supposed to be calming. You purchase this online or at any pet store.

4. Adding another box or covered/uncovered box. This might not help but is always recommended.

5. Behavior medication- So as a last resort there are medications that can help with inappropriate elimination. It is best to try the first 4 things first before considering this.

6. One more thing. If you think that his stool is quite hard and it is difficult for him to pass stool, then you can add 1/4 tsp miralax to his food daily or twice daily to try to soften the stool slightly.

This is a human product and easy to mix with the food.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I always said I would be rich if I could fully understand the mind of a cat!! I love them so much, but they can be difficult.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time. Even after the rating, this conversation will stay open for approximately 1 week. So please keep me posted.

Take Care,

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian