Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat’s poop colour is black. 2 months she’s boots. Boots.

Customer Question
My cat’s poop colour...

My cat’s poop colour is black

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

2 months she’s boots

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Boots

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Boots?

She hasn’t had her vaccinations

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/7/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about Boots. How long have her stools been black? What is she eating now? Is she otherwise doing well?

it’s been about 2 days
she’s been eating wet food tuna flavor from whiskies and other than that, yes she’s quite active when she’s awake

That is good that she's quite active when awake. Do you feel that the dark stools started up when she started that diet? A lot of times the color of the stools is tied directly to what is being eaten. It can also be darker if it is out for awhile and drying out. Really dark stools / black, bring up the concern for it being melena. This is when there is a stomach ulcer / bleed that is causing blood to be digested and passed. This is honestly typically an issue in older animals and not one that is 2 months old.

nope we didn’t change her diet she just started having black stools for the past 2 days. it’s really black stools and she doesn’t like to drink milk and only drinks water sometimes. if you want to see a picture of her stools I could show you.

You can post a picture here with the paper clip icon. If she's otherwise seeming active, comfortable, eating well, being social, and not otherwise stressed - the stool color would be suspicious for a dietary issue. Her being so young, there is the possibility of intestinal parasites - hook worms, but they take blood and they utilize it. It shouldn't be in the stomach to pass.

we just got her 2 weeks ago and she’s been eating the same thing ever since, it’s just that these past 2 days I’ve noticed her stools were black as seen in the photo. what could be the cause? should I go to a vet about it?
also on another unrelated issue, when she’s playing, she bites too hard and will often leave scratches and bite marks on my skin even when I do not play with her with my fingers.

If you break the stools open, is the inside as dark as the outside? With one so young, it would be good to get her to your vet to have them check her over and get her vaccines set up and to check a fresh stool sample for intestinal parasites that could be at hand here. Some kittens can be very mouthy and they need to learn to play nicer. When she gets like this, it is best to not interact with her. She will start to learn that that kind of behavior ends her being played with.

the inside of the stools as seen is as black. and very hard as well. so do I bring a sample of the stool to the vet as well?
I try to distract her when she starts biting with a toy but she’ll just end up seeing my hand as a target instead and bites it. and her teeth are very sharp. is there something or some toy I could buy for her?

Sorry for my delay. If the stools are this hard, they could be getting dark as they are drying out. When taking a stool sample to the vet's office, it is best to get one that is as fresh as possible - in the previous 6-12 hours ideally. As far as the biting, distracting her is the ideal thing. Is there a perfect toy for this? I like to use strings and feathers as they are very entertaining and good to focus their attention on.

I'm curious to hear how things are going for Boots at this time.