Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 1.5 yr old male cat is acting very sluggish this AM. He…

Customer Question
My 1.5 yr old...

My 1.5 yr old male cat is acting very sluggish this AM.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?

He answers to Kitty. Real name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buster?

Was chewing on Philodendron yesterday.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/7/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Buster chewed on part of a Philodendron plant yesterday and is lethargic.
This plant is considered toxic by the ASPCA due to insoluble calcium oxalates found in the plant.
Signs of toxicity include oral irritation, including intense burning and irritation of mouth, tongue and lips, drooling, vomiting, and if enough is ingested large amounts of throat swelling and difficulty swallowing.

He may be lethargic because he has a sore mouth and feels nauseous. Is he drooling at all?

Or perhaps he wasn't feeling well so he chewed on your plant and the plant isn't the real problem.
If he ate enough to experience irritation and burning, possible throat swelling and difficulty swallowing, that could lead to him refusing to eat and drink.
To soothe the irritation I recommend that you give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of ¼ of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and could help him feel better. They can be used for several days if necessary.

I also recommend feeding soft foods mixed with water to make eating and swallowing more comfortable. 
If he is refusing to eat even soft foods you can try offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 2/3 boiled, shredded, white chicken and 1/3 boiled, plain, white rice. You can mix in low salt chicken broth or warm water to make the food softer and easier to eat and swallow.
If he continues to refuse to eat he should see a veterinarian for intravenous fluids and supportive care.
He should start to eat and feel better as the burning sensation resolves but cats that don’t eat for several days can develop liver disease so we do want to keep a close eye on him.

Because he is a male cat I recommend that you check his litter box and make sure that he is urinating. Male cats can suffer from urethral obstructions because of their narrow urethral dimeter which can cause lethargy, nausea, and weakness, and eventually lead to kidney failure and death. Any time a male cat acts lethargic I always consider that as a possibility.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****