Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a new cat in the house and my older cat has retreated…

Customer Question
I have a new...

I have a new cat in the house and my older cat has retreated to under the bed. I now find she is not peeing or pooping.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Portia about 7 or 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Portia?

She is on special food

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/7/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.

It is not unusual to see cats act this way when a new cat is introduced to the home. Ideally, introductions should be staged gradually, but it sounds like we're too late for that.

So, in this situation, you should close the door to the bedroom that she's in. Bring food, water, and a litter box nearby.

I'd recommend picking up some Feliway spray or plug-in diffusers, to help provide a soothing relaxation effect for Portia. You can buy these at most pet shops or online.

Most cats will return to their normal eating and bowel habits within a couple of days of being allowed some quiet and some isolation.

In rare cases, veterinary attention might be needed if she refuses to start eating/drinking, but she's not going to be able to harm herself by holding her urine or stool for too long.