Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

SHE SPRAYS ALL OVER THE HOUSE. MY VET SAID THAT SURGERY WAS…

Customer Question
SHE SPRAYS ALL OVER...

SHE SPRAYS ALL OVER THE HOUSE. MY VET SAID THAT SURGERY WAS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO FIX THE PROBLEM. BUT THAT, AS AN OLDER CAT (SHE WALKED INTO MY KITCHEN SOME YEARS AGO AS A STRAY SO I DON'T KNOW HER AGE) SHE MIGHT NOT SURVIVE THE SURGERY. HE PRESCRIBED MEDS IN PILL FORM BUT SHE WILL NOT SWALLOW THEM. CAN YOU RECOMMEND ANOTHER APPROACH? IS THERE A PILL THAT TASTES LIKE FISH OR MEAT?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the stray cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?

HER NAME IS MINOU, (FRENCH FOR PUSSYCAT), PRONOUNCED "ME NOO". SHE HAS LIVED WITH ME FOR ABOUT 8 YEARS.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about MINOU?

SHE IS PART SIAMESE I THINK.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/7/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Minou. I'm not aware of any surgery that can address her spraying. I can tell you an approach that doesn't require medications but there are medications that can be of value and formulated into tasty suspensions that your vet can have formulated by a specialty veterinary pharmacy.

You'll need to prevent Minou from returning to previously soiled areas by confining her to a very small area with the box and only allowed out when she can be supervised 100% of the time. When confined to a relatively small area, most cats seem to prefer to eliminate in the box rather than soiling the floor. It’s then a matter of confining her long enough for a consistent habit to become established. As a rule of thumb, one week of confinement is usually recommended for every month of soiling. She should be removed from the confinement area as much as possible for socialization and play, but never allowed out of sight. Food rewards may help when given after she uses her box. If she refuses to use the litterbox when confined to a small area, the confinement area should be changed to a large cage. The floor should be covered with litter, forcing her to use it for elimination. The litter is gradually removed and replaced with a litterbox. Once she has used the litterbox in a confined area for an appropriate amount of time, she can be allowed to have more freedom in the home. Previously soiled areas can be safeguarded by changing the behavioral function of the area by placing food bowls, cat bedding or toys in the area. The area can also be made unacceptable for her by placing a motion-activated alarm or lemon-scented room deodorant in the area. Plastic carpet runners can be placed upside down with the "feet" facing up. Plastic, foil, or double-stick carpet tape can be used to protect specific areas. Removing urine and stool odor is important. Products such as Nature's Miracle which are specifically formulated to work on these types of odors are recommended.

Some cats are extremely sensitive to changes in their environment. They may mark in response to the most minor of alterations. You must strive to keep the home environment as constant as possible. When situations exist that are likely to upset Minou, you might want to consider confinement, closer supervision and the use of anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) medication such as paroxetine (Paxil) and fluoxetine (Prozac). These are the drugs can be formulated into tasty solutions much easier for you to give Minou. In fact, most behaviorists feel that without the use of psychotherapeutic drugs our chance of correcting inappropriate marking behavior is near nil. (Personal note: My two cats began marking as kittens. After 6 months of fruitless treatment they became outdoor cats - for 12 years.)

Nobody wants to confine their pet as I've described but her behavior requires desperate measures. My male urinated on my pillow while I slept - an obvious behavior designed to make sure that his sister and I knew who's bed it really was. He apparently was anxious about his status in the hierarchy of my home.

Success in management with psychotherapeutic drugs is measured by a 70% reduction in adverse events. In other words, if my cat urinated on my pillow 10 times monthly prior to drug administration but only 3 times monthly after drug administration, success in treatment is acknowledged. Needless to say, that didn't please me and I certainly hope that you have better "success" than I. Perhaps you will not having another cat in the house.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.