Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have 4 month old kitten that is not eating food. She

Customer Question
I have 4 month...

I have 4 month old kitten that is not eating food. She drinks water, but cannot get her to eat. Ialso have other cats in house that are doing the same thing. I is just that the kitten is not that big and I thinkshe is loosing weight They are having very loose stools as well. Some times they are throwing up plain bilel They act hungury but smell the food and willnot eat. I have tried several differant foods, soft and dry.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the kitten eat anything unusual?

Not the I know of. the older cats seem to have got what she has.At first it was just kitten then one by one the older cats started to do the samr.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the kitten's name?

Ali

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ali?

I had her spayed one week ago, and dewormed and shots.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/7/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear your kitten is not eating. When cats are sick, this is what they do: act hungry, smell the food, and walk away. If there is vomiting, diarrhea, and weight loss, I am very concerned that this kitten is sick and in need of medical attention.

If you lift her lip, do her gums seem pink or pale?

Was the kitten tested for feline leukemia before being spayed and vaccinated?

If the other cats are also not eating, vomiting, and having diarrhea, this probably is some kind of contagious infection.

To get the kitten to eat, you have to find out what is making her sick, and treat that. You can try giving 2.5 mg famotidine (Pepcid AC) for vomiting and nausea. The best thing would be to have her examined by a veterinarian to find out what is wrong. Weight loss in a growing kitten is very worrying to me.

Please let me know what other questions you have.

She was not tested before but 2 days ago I did take her to vet, no fever, had lost 1/2 # and they did test for feline leukemia infectious virus and were negative. gf

I am sorry I was not still online when you got back to me. Good she is negative for leukemia virus. How is she doing tonight?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

I have not heard back from you; how is she doing?

Please let me know if this was helpful and what other questions I can answer.