Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My male cat is almost 18 years old. He has been on kidney…

Customer Question
My male cat is...

My male cat is almost 18 years old. He has been on kidney food for most of his life, and with the diagnosis of hyperthyroidism maybe 4-5 years ago, has been on the medicine methialzome. As of late, his condition has worsened, and he is very thin, and the thyroid has become so large that at times he has a hard time swallowing. I don't want him to suffer, but he still eats, and is hanging in there. Is there anything else I could do for him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?

Palmer.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Palmer?

He stopped eating his wet canned kidney food, so I'm feeding him just regular store bought canned food. He has an excessive thirst and urinates alot.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/7/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I am Dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry to hear about Palmer. That is such a tough situation and I know how difficult it is to have a cat with these diseases, I have been though it as well.

I am working on a response and will be back shortly. I do have a few questions for you though, if you don't mind.

1. When was the last time he had his blood work checked to find out how severe the thyroid and renal values are?

2. Was his dose of methimazole ever increased based on these results?

3. Are you doing fluids under the skin at home? Don't worry if you are not. Some cats do not tolerate this very well. I was just wondering.

I think that you are doing a great job. Honestly. This is a really tough situation. Those 2 diseases at the same time in an 18 year old cat can be very difficult to manage especially if both diseases are progressing. Both disease are causing him to drink and urinate excessively, not eat well and lose weight. I think it is a good thing that you are just feeding him whatever he will eat at this point. there is not need to try to force him to eat the renal diet.

I wish there was some magic pill that I could tell you to give him that would make him feel better but at this point depending on what the values are, he just may be reaching a point where there aren't any more things that you can do.

The only thing that comes to mind that might help him feel better would be the subcutaneous fluids at home and pepcid AC, famotidine. This is an acid reducer that can sometimes help to settle the stomach when they have kidney disease and may help with appetite. The typical dose if 2.5 mg twice daily. It comes in 10 mg tablets and you can get it at any pharmacy or grocery store. I did this for my cat for a few months, but once he reached a point where the kidney's were failing, he just wouldn't tolerate it any more. At that point, I just wanted to give him as many good days as possible.

I wish that I could suggest more for you and for him, but honestly, it sounds like up to this point you have been doing all that you can for him. Now just keep him as comfortable as possible, ensure that he is eating and drinking well and take one day at a time.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions. I am happy to help.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time. Even after the rating, this conversation will stay open for about a week if you have questions.

Please keep me posted.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian