Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is diabetic but what are the glucose readings I

My cat is diabetic...

My cat is diabetic but what are the glucose readings I should be looking for

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. I'm sorry your cat has that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?

Tippy 10 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Tippy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tippy?

He was on 6 insulin at 2 today he was 3.3, at 5:30 he was 6.4 and at 8:00 PM after he ate he was 20.6. I have been told not to give any more insulin until Friday AM and it is Wed. night now. Is this right? What are the levels that he can reach?

I meant to say he is given 6 insulin 2 times a day.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/7/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Tippy, please?

To answer you directly, we like to see such a patient's blood glucose between 8 and 13.8 throughout a 24 hour period. The values you posted suggested the Somogyi effect - overdosing of insulin causing the blood glucose to plunge and then rebound too highly. In general, the dose is halved in these cats rather than stopped. Which insulin is being given, please, and how much does Tippy weight?

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Veterinarian
Phone call session started

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

This site is a farce. Sorry. I am very disappointed. No phone call.. really what is that. I did get one piece of info but it was way to late. Thank you for that anyway. Joanne Monaghan
It has been 2 dAYS and no call. DO NOT CHARGE ME. jOANNE mONAGHAN

Joanne, for questions concerning your account please contact customer service at ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us, ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0 or 1-***-***-**** for help in that regard.