Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has this weird cream color protruding tiny bump

Customer Question
coming out from where his...
My cat has this weird cream color protruding tiny bump coming out from where his whiskers are, a few weeks ago he had a similar looking bump behind his ear which went away. I have pictures of it but unsure what it may be
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/7/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I would like to see the pic, please. You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

The pics are out of focus but my first thought was that this represents an embedded tick which would be consistent with a bump behind his ear that went away...a tick detached. Can you gently tweeze this bump away from the skin and see if you can see the head and/or legs of a tick?

Okay sorry about the bad pics, I will try and remove it. I’m nervous will it hurt him?

No, not if you're gentle. Please let me know what you find.

Okay I got it! But I noticed there’s a smaller one under his chin and there’s red encrusted stuff surrounding it

Good work. Cleanse away the stuff with peroxide so you can visualize the tick better and see if you can tweeze it out as well.

Thank you for your assistance! Do you have any ideas on products out there that prevent ticks? I’m in Pennsylvania for a few months until I go back to California. I’ve never seen ticks on him before when I was in California. I know there’s a lot of deer around here and he goes outside often so I’m hoping there’s something I can buy while out here to prevent or kill ticks

Yes, Frontline (or generics) for cats. Please see here: https://www.amazon.com/Frontline-Plus-for-Cats-Kittens/dp/B00HDGKB7G You should be able to find this where pet supplies are sold.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian