Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He's had some diarrhea this morning and cries when I pet him…

Customer Question
Hi! He's had some...

Hi! He's had some diarrhea this morning and cries when I pet him on his lower back near his bottom. Otherwise he seems okay?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

Watson is his name and he's 2yrs, 4 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Watson?

He has cat flu but he's had no symptoms recently

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/7/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian
Hello I am Dr Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry about Watson. I am working on a response right now and will be back shortly.
there are many things that can cause diarrhea especially if he is an indoor outdoor cat. If he is indoor only and nothing has changed with his diet than we will have to make sure that this resolves and that he doesn't start showing other symptoms.
So the most important thing at this point is to ensure that he is eating and drinking well. I wouldn't offer him any treats or new food at this point.
The other thing that you can do to help him is add about 1/4-1/3 tsp original metamucil to his food. If he eats canned food that would be easier.
Don't get the flavored kind of metamucil.
Also, you can implement a probiotic. I really like Purina fortiflora. Cats love it and it is so easy to sprinkle on the food. Most pet stores have it or online.
Typing more...
He is probably having pain from the diarrhea so if we get this resolved hopefully he will feel better. If you do these things and he still seems to be in pain, then I would have him examined to make sure that there is nothing else going on and the ensure that his anal glands are ok.
Also, if nothing had changed in this environment and he continues to have diarrhea or other symptoms and he is an older cat then you want to make sure that there is nothing else going in internally. Older cats can have liver, kidney, thyroid issues and can present with vomiting and diarrhea.
I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions.
If you are satisfied with my assistance a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.
Even after the rating this conversation will stay open for about a week.so keep me posted
Sincerely,
Dr. Nicole

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Nicole