Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She has a sinus infection I believe. She is breathing

She has a sinus...

She has a sinus infection I believe. She is breathing through her mouth with her tongue sticking out the front. Otherwise, she seems normal.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?

It's a stray. No name but we have been feeding her until we can get her fixed, then to the shelter.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the stray cat?

Not that I can think of. We have some Calloidal Silver and was thinking of giving her this.

Answered in 1 hour by:
12/7/2017
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth - I'm so sorry your question wasn't responded to sooner - different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your kitty's problem, and want to help. To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

How is the kitty acting, does she still seem to have some energy or do you think she is lethargic?

Is she eating for you?

She is eating, but I can't say for sure how much since I have 2 other kitties. Same energy and behavior other than the tongue flipping in/out of her mouth.

Yes it is always a little harder to judge when you have multiples-

Any discharge from her eyes or nose?

Sorry. I'm checking.
she does
Can we give her colloidal silver?

So colloidal silver is one of those things there is just not much info on for safety or efficacy in animals, a little bit probably won't hurt - though how much is too much - we just don't know unfortunately.

If she is at least eating something, that is generally a tick on the side for better. If she is pretty much otherwise acting like herself, it doesn't sound like you necessarily need to have her seen at an emergency clinic tonight.

It can be a bit hard to tell just from the symptoms if we are dealing with something like a virus that just needs a few days to run its course, vs a bacterial infection needing antibiotics, but we worry a little more about potential for a bacterial component if they are having cloudy or yellowish green discharge from eyes or nose.

Using saline drops in the nose a few times a day can be soothing and help keep them breathe more comfortably. You can get this usually at any drugstore: http://www.littleremedies.com/remedies/nose-remedies/saline-spray-drops/

You can drip the saline into each of the nostrils every few hours.

Another thing to try is running a hot shower - close the door so the bathroom is steamy, then keep her in the bathroom for a few minutes so she is getting some humidified air.

If her appetite seems to go down at all, offering a smelly canned food like a fish flavor can help, as can warming wet food for a few seconds to bring out the flavor and aroma, cats are very driven to eat by smelling their food, and if they aren't smelling so well, they can seem like they are not that hungry.

It's clear. Is this viral related?

If she will let you remove any boogers near her nose, that can help for breathing too.

Viruses are a little more likely to be clear discharge, though like with us sometimes with how the immune system can be affected with a virus, there is some chance for a secondary bacterial infection..

If she quit eating altogether, was staying very congested and the saline drops weren't helping, or you started to see discharge becoming cloudy or yellowish/green, that is a sign that they probably need some extra intervention and it would be best to be seen in person with the vet.

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian
I understand. We will give her some colloidal and hope the viral aspect does not turn into bacterial. If it turns a different color or worsens in volume after we try cleaning her nose and such, we will get her to a vet.

One other thing to keep in mind to try, if you are questioning her appetite, is to try a meat flavored baby food. Usually they like the very plain flavors by Gerber, Delmonte, or Beechnut, just meat with the gravy like chicken, turkey, or ham. Check the ingredient list that no other flavors like garlic or onion has been added. Sometimes warming a little can help make it more appealing too.

Thanks for the great rating - if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask-

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian