Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Our cat was spayed on Friday and came home Saturday. My son…

Customer Question
Our cat was spayed...

Our cat was spayed on Friday and came home Saturday. My son has been checking her surgery site and noticed that there is a grape size bulge that is firm to the touch and the cat is making a noise never made before. I just witnessed the noise and it is difficult to describe but it looked like a burp or cough with a higher pitch than her meow voice. He first noticed the bulge yesterday but mentioned it tonight. She seems tired but it is after 10pm. She seems to be eating and drinking normally.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?

Mocha

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mocha?

She doesn't seen to understand the Vet's orders not to jump on the furniture while she is healing.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/6/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. There are a couple of possibilities here with your cat. This could be fluid build up, either blood or infection. It could also be a hernia from her popping a stitch so to speak. Fluid build up is was more likely in the majority of cases and it usually happens because of too much activity post op. Your vet will likely either do an ultrasound or an xray to determine if it is fluid or a hernia. If it is just fluid, they might drain the fluid and start antibiotics for a few weeks. If it is a hernia, they will need to go in and surgically repair the site, which is usually a same day procedure.In either scenario, for the next few weeks she will need to be activity restricted. This means no running, jumping, playing, or climbing. I usually recommend keeping them in a small enclosure, a large dog kennel with a litterbox, bed, food and water works great for this. Some cats will need a mild sedative if they are really active during this time. I would also recommend an E-collar to help protect the incision over the next 2 weeks. Either way, this will heal given time. Let me know if you have any other questions.If you could take a minute to give me a positive rating so I can get credit for this question, I would really appreciate it. Best of luck with everything!
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian