Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have distilled water and my cat is dehydrated. I have used…

Customer Question
I have distilled water...

I have distilled water and my cat is dehydrated. I have used the lactated ringer but am out and the cat needs a treatment. Can I use distilled water in place of the saline solution?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?

Tig and 6 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tig?

Has been throwing up and i am to give intravenously until he can drink on his own

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/6/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 12 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

You can absolutely NOT give the distilled water in any way other than oral. But you can give a few drops every few minutes so that it is a slow trickle orally. That is all you can do. Giving the distilled water could be disastrous... it does not have the right electrolytes and is not sterile. Get to your vet to get more of the proper IV fluids as soon as you can, but please do not ever try to substitute. Good luck!

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions or are not yet satisfied with my answer, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service (5 star rating), please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.

Are you there? I am wrapping up for the day here, but I need to make sure that you do not have any other questions for me before I sign off. To help signal to me whether or not we are done, please either rate my service (preferable), or say "thank you" to indicate that you are happy with my service and we are done talking for now, or please ask me more follow up questions. Thanks!

Hi there... I see that this is still in my "active questions" list, so I will continue to follow up with you until it has been closed. To close the question, please either ask me more questions, or say "thank you" to indicate that I have fully answered your question. Thanks!