Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

They found crystals in my cats blood test. Vet wants to do a…

Customer Question
They found crystals in...

They found crystals in my cats blood test. Vet wants to do a ultra sound but she already went through xrays, blood tests, two different shots, they had to hydrate her and she's in shock. is there an alternate homepathic remedy to clear the crystals from her? thanks

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your cat?

She's not eating or urinating or pooping. plus she's lethargic

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Abby, she's approximately 5 years old. her xrays were clear, nothing super serious in her blood work, just crystals. I dont want to put her thru another round of tests right now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Abby?

The vet wants to run the ultra sound to look for stones, but I dont want her to have to go thru that ordeal again tmrw. yesterday was horrible for her

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/6/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

Dealing with crystals in the urine can mean that she has developed bladder stones, but generally you will see these on xrays unless they are very small. An ultrasound will show smaller stones that the xray may have missed.

Did they tell you what type of crystals they were? For instance, struvite crystals, oxylate crysals etc

Diet change is a big part of getting rid of crystals in the urine and unfortunately, this is a life long management thing. If they are taken off their urinary diet crystals come back and if given enough time will then form stones.

When you say she is in shock that is a medical emergency. Shock occurs when their blood pressure bottoms out and often these cats a lying down unable to get up and they are not responsive. Is this what is occuring?

You can try diet change first and antibiotic therapy with pain medications for the bladder wall inflammation. Crystals in the urine scrape the bladder wall and can cause a lot of damage. This is painful.

Diet options

Hills science diet : C/D multicare

Royal Canin urinary S/O

There are also cranberry chews that can help with lower urinary tract disease anecdotally.

https://www.amazon.com/Well-Good-Urinary-Support-Chews/dp/B0169JLU9A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1512530915&sr=8-4&keywords=cranberry+chews+for+cats​

I hope this helps give you some ideas and things to discuss with your veterinarian. Also I will send home a medication called Gabapentin for my very stressed kitties to be given 2 hours before an appointment and it helps keep them calm and makes everything go smoother with less stress on the cat.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

I never heard back from you. Did this help?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian