Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He turned 16 y/o in August and is on meds via the ears for…

Customer Question
He turned 16 y/o...

He turned 16 y/o in August and is on meds via the ears for hyer thyroid. He is losing weight and eats well and drinks well, however he yowls much more and much louder.. I calm him down by massaging his body and chatting with him. Is there anything else I should do? He is under doctor's care with the meds. Thanks

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Chico

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Chico?

16 in August of '17

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chico?

Not really. He grooms/eats/drinks and loves to go out on the deck and lurk about. Otherwise okay, but I worry always

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/5/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I am Dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry about Chico. It is always so difficult when they get older and have a chronic disease. I understand wanting to do every thing possible to make him comfortable. I am working on a response right now and will be back shortly.

So my biggest concern with Chico based on what you are describing is possible change in his thyroid condition or the possibility of a concurrent disease. It is very common for hyperthyroid cats to vocalize more than normal and lose weight but this does improve with treatment. And if he is on the correct dose of medication, then he shouldn't still be losing weight. I don't know how long he has been on the medication, but anytime there is a change in the condition of the pet, I always recheck the thyroid levels to ensure the dose does not need to be changed. Also, many hyperthyroid cast are prone to kidney issues and so always making sure that the kidney values are normal is hugely important.

You are doing a great job by trying to calm him down and massage him. That is great. Again, if the thyroid levels are too high for his normal physiology, then we will act more agitated and vocalize more than normal. I think that best thing that can be done to ensure that you are doing everything possible for him, is rechecking blood work. I know it is not in expensive, but it may buy him some valuable time if we are sure that there is nothing else going on.

I hope this information helps. Please keep me posted and feel free to ask any questions that you may have.
If you are satisfied with my assistance a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time .
Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week so please keep me posted.
Sincerely,
Dr. Nicole

I just wanted to check in with you and see if you had any questions. I hope that things are going well.
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian