Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has 1.1 in his bloodwork for neutrophils. Could a…

Customer Question
Hi - my cat has...
Hi - my cat has 1.1 in his bloodwork for neutrophils. Could a tooth infection cause this? He shakes his head from time to time and tends to drop food out of his mouth.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/5/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Do you happen to have a copy of the blood work you could take a picture of and send it to me? 1.1k neutrophils on some blood analyzers can be normal, so I wanted to see what the normal values on that particular machine before being able to tell you my interpretation. There are a lot of causes for an elevated neutrophil count, tartar on the teeth is definitely one of them. Could also be an ear infection with what you're describing with the head shaking.
Thank you. Let me check that for you.
the range for his neutrophils are 2.5 to 8.5 and his came in at 1.14
His previous test came in at 3.23 at the beginning of 2016
the 1.14 was for the absolute, but for neutrophils with the range of 35-75 he was at 38 this time around
the only other thing that was out of range was the lymphs. He came in at 48 with the range being 25-45
Your thoughts?
Is his total WBC number normal? If so, I would say that a relatively lowith neurophil number is ***** as concerning for an infection in his case. However, a lot of cats with a tooth infection actually have normal neutrophil numbers. I would recommend a dental and dental x-rays to know for sure.
Actually it was low. It's at 3.0 and the range is 3.5 to 15. So the vet was concerned that with the low neutrophil numbers he may have FIV or Feline Leukemia. I hoping it is just maybe something with his teeth because he does seem to have difficulty chewing.
Any thoughts on that?
Have they done a Feline Leukemia and FIV test? It is a test they can do in house, it takes about 10 minutes. To me those numbers don't scream FELV/FIV.
they are going to have the lab do the test. Could it be something like Calcivirus or some other cat virus?
other cat viruses could be the cause, especially Calici because it causes oral ulcers. Are they sending out testing for that as well at this point?
I asked them to, but the office said the vet may not think it is necessary. So when you consider all those numbers together, low WBC, low neutrophils and high lymphs - what would you guess as likely? Is this consistent with lymphoma?

How high are the lymphocytes? If they are extremely high, it is possible. Otherwise, probably not.

He was at 48 and the range was 25-45

To me, that isn't high enough for lymphoma to be at the top of my list. It's a slight elevation, not a severe elevation.

I'm sure you have reviewed countless blood results. If you saw 48 for lymphs with range 24-45, and 1.14 for neutrophils with the range being 2.5-8.5 and then WBC at 3.0 with the range 3.5 to 15 - what would be your first suspicion?

I would never try to make a diagnosis based on those values alone to be totally honest with you. There are literally thousands of possibilites for those numbers, they are not very helpful with the entire picture. I would have done a chemistry panel, xrays and an ultrasound as well. Those numbers don't really tell me anything specific at all. Some sort of mild infection or inflammation, but where? And why? You really need to do more diagnostics to figure out what's going on.