Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has been losing alot of hair on her back around her…

Customer Question
My cat has been...

My cat has been losing alot of hair on her back around her tail

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?

I don't know the spot is getting longer daily and it looks bruised a little or like a rash where the hair is gone

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Ginger.. I don't know how old she is I've had her about 5 years and she's a house cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ginger?

Sometimes she wonders in the garage so its possible a bug bit her

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/5/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. It sounds like a bug bite or potentially a flea bite causing this issue. I would recommend starting Benadryl (1mg/lb) every 12 hours. I would also get her started on flea medication if she isn't already on it (Advantage is good over the counter for cats) as these products can help with bug bites as well as flea bites. Let me know if you have any other questions.If you could take a minute to give me a positive rating so I can get credit for this question, I would really appreciate it. Best of luck with everything!