Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is not eating and drinking very little. He is around…

Customer Question
My cat is not...

My cat is not eating and drinking very little.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

He is around 10 years old. We are not sure. His Name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Simon?

I also think he is constipated.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/5/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian
Hello I am Dr Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am working on a response right now. I am sorry to hear about Simon.
There are so many things that can cause these symptoms especially in an older cat.
If he is strictly an indoor cat and not exposed to many things than it increases the chance of something going on internally when nothing has changed in his environment.
So there are some things that you can try at home before taking him in for an exam.
If he has an upset stomach you can try to give him pepcid AC famotidine 2.5 mg twice daily.
You can also try off offer him bland food such as low sodium chicken broth, chicken Gerber baby food and small amounts of chicken breast. That is assuming he has done ok with chicken in the past.
As far as constipation, he might not be constipated but may seem that way because he is not eating so he is not passing anything. If you really believe he is constipated and straining to defecate, the I will routinely recommend miralax for cats. They get 1/4 tsp twice daily.Typing more...
Sorry for any typos, typing fast!Now if Simon continues to decline and won't eat and drink on his own then you should really take him in for an exam and possible bloodwork.
It is so important to check cats for kidney disease, liver disease, thyroid disease etc. It just helps us to understand why a cat is exhibiting certain clincial signs.
I hope that helps give you some direction.
Please let me know if you have any more questionsIf you are satisfied with my assistance a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time. Even after the rating this conversation will stay open for about a week.
Keep me posted.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Any questions?