Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
99787490

Cat has renal failure - threw up last night - seems to be

Customer Question

Cat has renal failure - threw up last night - seems to be "coughing" and seems to have a sore throat.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: no
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Nicole replied 9 months ago.
Hello I am Dr Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry about your cat. It is so tough when they develop kidney failure. I am working on a response right now and will be back shortly.
I am not sure what things you have already implemented with your pet but I will just review some of the comments treatments for renal failure and see if we are on the same page.
So often times with this disease, pets produce more acid in the stomach secondary to the kidneys failing. I will always put these pets on pepcid AC to reduce some of the acid I'm the stomach. Obviously increased acid can cause reflux and vomiting or coughing. Most cats will get 2.5 mg twice daily.
Now another reason for the cough could be a secondary infection but probably less likely.Typing more...
Other things that are really important as far as treatment of this disease are a low protein low phosphorus diet, typically a moist diet, subcutaneous fluids to help with diuresis and sometime other meds like phosphorus binders.
I know how difficult this is, I went through the same thing with my own pet. All you can do is take one day at a time and try to implement things that will help with quality of life and longevity.
Prescription diets are the best as far as kidney disease goes, but science diets as a whole tend to be lower in protein and phosphorus if your cat won't eat the other diets. Moist food is best if possible for the increased moisture.
I hope that helps but please let me know if you have any more questions.
If you are satisfied with my assistance a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.
Even after the rating this conversation will stay open for about a week.
Keep me posted.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Any questions?