Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Can a cat have a bad reaction to distemper & rabies shots?

Customer Question
Can a cat have...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?

She has laid around since I brought her home. Staying on floor not rumping up on furniture. Not walking around.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Faith 12 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Faith?

She weights 15 lbs

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Waiting on response
If you have been unsuccessful in trying to call, try again as I have changed my phone setting to receive a call at this hour.
12/5/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The rabies vaccine is usually the culprit. Faith is likely experiencing a delayed hypersensitivity reaction to it and may be febrile at this time. One 81 mg dose of aspirin should be helpful. You mustn't give acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or naproxen to cats. The aspirin shouldn't be repeated for 72 hours but Faith shouldn't need it by then. Cats who don't respond to aspirin can be given a glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisolone or dexamethasone by their vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian