Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I think one of my cats may have worms, I just got this cat…

Customer Question
I think one of...

I think one of my cats may have worms

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?

I just got this cat from a lady a couple days ago. But his name is ***** ***** it's about 5 months old I believe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Patrick?

I went in and got a shot record from the vet where the other lady that had taken him but I believe he has just got distemper vaccine and is due for boosters now

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Also want to know if I need to be worried about my other cats, my dog, and myself getting worms?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/5/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

If you're concerned that Patrick is harboring worms you can purchase an over the counter wormer containing pyrantel which will address roundworms and hookworms and you can purchase an over the counter wormer containing praziquantel which will address tapeworms. The pyrantel should be given now and again in two weeks. One dose of praziquantel should suffice. Roundworms and hookworms are contagious to your other pets. Not so tapeworms which are contracted most often by ingesting a flea containing a larval tapeworm.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

do I need to deworm all my cats and my dog to be on the safe side?
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

I am following up behind Dr. Salkin. Yes you need to deworm all animals in the household

Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Checking in, JACustomer. Dr. Salkin and Dr. Denney have both replied to you. How are your companions doing at this time? Were you successful in deworming the household? Did you have any additional questions for us to address?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse