Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is 9 years old. He has is compulsive with licking.

Customer Question
Hello! My cat is...

Hello! My cat is 9 years old. He has is compulsive with licking. And when he’s sleeping his tail doesn’t stop wagging and back legs don’t stop moving. He also has been hiding a lot lately. He’s not usually an effectionate cat and all he wants to do is be close to anyone in the house. He’s lost weight as well.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name?

His name is baby

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Baby?

From licking he has lost lots of hair and has scabs.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/5/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience, and I'm here to help with your question about Baby.

I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but I'm glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.
To start with, I want to let you know this sounds a lot like miliary dermatitis. That's the word we use to describe a cat who is itchy and twitch and who's lost hair and gotten scabby. The most common cause of this type of miliary dermatitis is an allergy to flea saliva. It's important to emphasize a cat can suffer from this condition even when you aren't seeing fleas, because it doesn't take many flea bites to cause it.

Other things are possible too, like mites or food allergy.

I'm so sorry he's struggling with this, though. What is your question for me tonight, please?
I'll be standing by awaiting your reply. Thank you.

Please have a look at the information in the article I've provided a link to below. It is full of accurate information and I hope you'll find it helpful.

http://beta.veterinarypartner.com/default.aspx?pid=17256&catId=93456&id=4952664&ind=369&objTypeID=1007

Is there anything else I can do to help you tonight. I'm so sorry your cat is so uncomfortable and want to do all I can to help.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I do hope this information has been very helpful to you. If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.Thank you for using our website