Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat (male) is 13 and driving me crazy as he just wants in…

Customer Question
My cat (male) is...

My cat (male) is 13 and driving me crazy as he just wants in my lap all the time. Would it be a good idea to adopt another cat to see if that would help?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your cat?

My cat (male) is 13 and so miserable. He is driving me crazy as all he wants is in my lap and me pet him, he also cries a lot. Would it help to adopt another cat for him to have as company?

Veterinarian's Assistant: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?

My cats name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about PePe?

He is hyper-thyroid and is on medication twice a day, but otherwise he is fine.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/4/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about PePe. How long has he been wanting in your lap? Is he getting less attention at other times during the day? Is he having the same stimulations when you're not there? Are people that used to give him attention not he house as much now?

Sorry my typing was faster than my computer recognized it. "Are people that use to give him attention not in the house as much now?" That was what the last question was meant to say.

I am usually gone 2 or 3 afternoons during the week.
He just seem to want attention, that's why I thought another cat might help
Nothing else that I can think of.

I'll be honest and say that I wouldn't recommend getting another cat to just "help give him attention". A lot of times, it doesn't really help get them attention in the way that the want. He wants human contact and affection. Another cat may provide some physical stimulation and socialization, but it won't quench this "human" contact that he's wanting. Adding a second cat into the house could cause some stress on him as he's an only cat. It could cause him to not eat as well, to urinate inappropriately, to have other behavioral issues, etc... From my own experience, I wouldn't feel that adding another cat to the house will help to decrease how much attention he wants from you. You could try to create another very favorable spot for him to be on - a "pseudo" lap. I've had some owners get blankets and put them over a heating pad on the couch and then they go for this rather than an actual lap. They like the softness and the warmth!