Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cats eye is completely red but she is sleeping right now…

Customer Question
My cats eye is...

My cats eye is completely red but she is sleeping right now and seems fine. But it looks very alarming

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 8weeks old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Pandora?

8 weeks

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pandora?

We just got her on Saturday but she seems to be adjusting well. She’s eating and using the litter box well. She sleeps ALOT though

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/4/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you tell me, please, if "completely red" means that you're seeing blood inside the globe of the eye?

I don’t think it’s blood. How would I know if it’s blood?

That's done visually. Blood in the anterior chamber of the eye is called hyphema which can be caused by any systemic disease causing vasculopathy (blood vessel disorder) and/or bleeding disorders. In young kittens, the feline leukemia virus (FeLV) and feline infectious peritonitis virus (FIP) are important consideration. If hyphema indeed exists, prompt treatment with a glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisolone topically, and drugs that open up the pupil are important in an attempt to prevent secondary glaucoma (increased intraocular pressure), synechia (the iris becoming attached to the lens of the eye), and cataract formation.

Can you upload a close-up photo(s) of the eye to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Thank you. ***** can see hyphema. Do your best to have a vet attend to this eye promptly. If we can rule out trauma, a uveitis (inflammation of the iris and its attachments) caused by infection is most likely. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?