Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat was licking butter. What should I do. My cat was

Customer Question
My cat was licking...

My cat was licking butter. What should I do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?

My cat was licking butter. What should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your cat seem to hurt?

She doesn't seem sick yet. Will she get sick as she digests it?

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Not yet. This just happened a few minutes ago.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is your cat eating normally?

She is eating her regular food as I type this

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK, abnormal eating. What is the cat's name and age?

Halle and she is 5 years old

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/4/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Halle was licking a stick of butter, but I am glad that she is still feeling well today.

That is a very rich, high fat food. Whether she feels poorly or not will depend upon how much she ingested, and whether or not she has a sensitive stomach or a kitty that tends to eat a lot of table food. If she is used to eating table food she may not have any effects at all.

But if she has a sensitive stomach, especially if she ingested a large amount, then eating butter can lead to nausea, cramps and diarrhea.

Whether she needs veterinary care or not depends upon how bad she feels. If she is vomiting nonstop, has a tense, painful abdomen and refuses to eat for more then 48 hours then yes she needs veterinary care.

If she seems to have a mild stomach upset to try and settle her stomach today you can try either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation.
Then I would not feed her any food for 12 hours after the acid reducers are started. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility.
Small amounts of water or clear broth like low salt chicken broth are fine to offer frequently.
After her food fast offer a bland diet of 2/3 boiled, shredded white chicken and 1/3 boiled white rice. You can mix in low salt chicken broth or warm water to make the food softer and more palatable.
If she has diarrhea you can start Kao-pectate (or any generic kaolin and pectin formula) at 1ml per pound or 1 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 6 to 8 hours. This is quite safe and will coat her irritated gastrointestinal tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can use it for several days until her stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.
If she has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have diarrhea after being on kao pectate for 24 to 48 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting again even after the acid reducers are given, or runs a fever (rectal temperature greater than 103.5F) then she really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible.
Once she feels better for 48 hours start mixing in her regular cat food very slowly, less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert her back.
If she is constantly vomiting and feeling poorly though it would be best that she see a veterinarian as anything you give her orally will just come back up worsening her dehydration.

But if she only ate few licks, and shows no symptoms, then you may not need to do anything at all.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****