Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My diabetic cat stopped eating today. He is hiding in his…

Customer Question
My diabetic cat stopped...

My diabetic cat stopped eating today. He is hiding in his box. If I put him in front of his good he e gets down to smell it but won't stand , he ate s few tiny bites then went back to box. He had always eaten before.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?

Carlos and he is about 5 or 6 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Carlos?

He lost alot of weight all of a sudden and that's how I found out the diagnosis. So I don't know how long he had it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/4/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Carlos, please?

There are a few considerations in such a patient. They include overdosing of insulin which has left him hypoglycemic, underdosing of insulin which has left him hyperglycemic, and concurrent disorders such as pancreatitis and both hepatic and renal insufficiencies. Carlos is a patient in need of the attention of his vet at your earliest convenience. His blood glucose will be spot checked or his vet may recommend having a full diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests performed looking for disorders often found concurrently with diabetes.

Thank you. U am taking him to vet today

You're quite welcome. I'm pleased to hear that he'll be attended to shortly. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.