Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 12 year old male cat was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism…

My 12 year old...

My 12 year old male cat was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism late October. He is on the gel-5mg BID. For the past 2 weeks, he is vomiting, barely eating, and no bowel movements. He has lost over 5 lbs. I had him at our Vet this past Wednesday. Should I stop his medication.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

No, he will only sniff his food and walk away. If he does eat, it is 2 or 3 bites.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Mr. Thomas

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mr.?

Lack of energy and appears sad.

12/3/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

Short answer- NO

But I would decrease the dose to 2.5 MG twice a day

AND there is something else going on here! He should not be losing weight and be this sick

The medication can cause upset stomach but I would NOT expect such profound side effects.

Did they not comment on the weight loss despite the medication?

Paul

No

Okay well we are missing something here.

To confirm- he has lost five pounds since being on the medication?!

his blood work is normal except for the thyroid level.

They need to do an abdominal ultrasound ASAP- as in tomorrow

I am worried that there is another, serious, problem in the abdomen that is not showing up on the bloodwork

Can you get him in?

I teach veterinary ultrasound and can help review the findings with you

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DocPaul
I took Thomas in to our Vet and the ultrasound showed advance stomach cancer and I made the decision to have him
euthanized. Thank you for your service.

I am so sorry that the diagnosis was stomach cancer

Please accept my deepest sympathies :(

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian