Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a kitten less than a year old. He won't eat weight…

Customer Question
I have a kitten less...
I have a kitten less than a year old. He won't eat weight loss and no energy.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/3/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

About how old is he?

How long has this been going on for?

When was the last time he ate?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Any coughing or sneezing?

Any enlargement of this abdomen?

Did he receive at least 3 sets of kittens vaccines?

Less then a year. About a week.not sure I work alot I leave food open for him when I'm gone of a night. No other symptoms
I got him from a co worker who adopted him from a shelter

Thanks. I was looking for something a little more specific on the age. 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 8 months, 10 months? What about his vaccine history?

No sure about shots
Close to 9-10months

Thanks for the information. Sorry about the wait. Give me a few minutes to review and respond.

So there are few things to be concerned about. If there is no sneezing, coughing, vomiting or diarrhea; you can probably rule out most viral issues, but FIP (feline infectious peritonitis). Any time you have a kitten around her age with these symptoms, FIP has to be considered because it often shows non-specific symptoms (unless there is an enlarged abdomen) and it is usually a deadly disease. Other things to consider, though, are a gastrointestinal foreign body obstruction, liver problems, a mild pancreatitis, oral pain and intestinal parasites (usually will have diarrhea at some point). The problem you get with cats is that if the anorexia has been going on for longer than 3 days, the original cause may not be as important as the fact that they can develop serious liver problems if not eating for that short amount of time. Without knowing the exact cause, it will be impossible to determine how to get him eating again, and there really aren't any completely safe OTC products you can give to cats besides Pepcid. My best advice at this point is to have your vet get a full physical exam, run blood work and a fecal exam and consider x-rays of the abdomen (to look for an obstruction). You can try warming canned cat food in the microwave for a few seconds, adding tuna juice or feeding canned tuna; but most likely that won't help much. The anorexia and weight loss are just a symptom of a more serious problem that needs to be treated. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.