Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Her right eye is cloudy and her left is starting to do the…

Customer Question
Her right eye is...

Her right eye is cloudy and her left is starting to do the same

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?

See above

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

I noticed her right eye is cloudy and her left is starting to do the same

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the cat's name and age?

Wilma 3yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Wilma?

3yrs

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/3/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand that you are concerned about a change in Wilma's eyes, her right eye being cloudy and her left eye appearing to become cloudy as well.

A cloudy appearance to the eye usually points to some sort of inflammation in the eye (uveitis).

Inflammation can be from blunt or penetrating trauma, an infection including bacterial, viral (such as feline leukemia, feline immunodeficiency virus, Herpes, or feline infectious peritonitis), parasitic (toxoplasmosis), or fungal (cryptococcosis, or blastomycosis are two possibilities for fungal infections), glaucoma (increased eye pressure), cataracts, or even cancer (iris melanoma, lymphoma, or sarcoma), and the most common cause, immune mediated, idiopathic (which means we don't know why but the body attacks itself).

Since both eyes appear to be affected this is likely some sort of systemic illness (infectious disease or immune mediated), or a disease process that tends to affect both eyes (glaucoma or cataracts).

I highly recommend that Wilma see a veterinary ophthalmologist, have a thorough examination and some testing done to determine the cause and design a treatment plan. They will also want to check her eye pressures to make sure that her eyes are not developing glaucoma (increased eye pressure) now. They will also want to look at bloodwork to look for signs of infection and/or metabolic disease (diabetes) that can cause cataracts, and look for infectious disease causes.

While I am glad she seems fine otherwise a suddenly cloudy eye(s) is not normal, and should be investigated.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

We're going to take her first thing tomorrow

That sounds great, please let me know what they find.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****