Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Well according to my mom who is keeping my cat for me at the…

Customer Question
Well according to my...

Well according to my mom who is keeping my cat for me at the moment she seems to be waddling and she is in pain whenever someone touches her hips

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Ruby and she is aproximately 9 years old I was thinking it could be hip displaysia but I'm not entirely sure

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Ruby

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ruby?

She's an outdoor cat and according to my mom she can't eat dry food anymore she's only able to eat wet

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/3/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

You are correct that this could be hip dysplasia, but it could also be osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis can cause an abnormal gate and pain upon touching.

Generally, a physical exam and xrays can confirm this and then we can get her started on some pain medication and joint supplies to help improve her quality of life

If your mom is unable to get Ruby seen by a veterinarian then we can start with an over the counter joint supplement and see how she does with that.

If there is no improvement in 4 weeks on a joint supplement then the next step is an exam and xrays to figure out what we are dealing with.

This supplement I have found to be very effective in helping older cats with arthritis

https://www.amazon.com/Antinol-Count-Health-Supplement-SoftGel/dp/B07121H5LQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512334211&sr=8-1&keywords=antinol+cats​

If she is only able to eat wet food that could also indicate significant dental or tooth pain so an exam is also recommended to get this checked out.

Good luck with Ruby.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.