Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 2 year old cat was diagnosed with diabetes a couple of…

Customer Question
Hi, my 2 year...

Hi, my 2 year old cat was diagnosed with diabetes a couple of days ago. She was in the hospital for three days and the vet said she was doing well. She was eating and drinking normally as well as going to the bathroom. The last today and all yest she barely touched her food and water. She also hasn't used the bathroom. I gave her half of insulin because she has some of her food. I just don't know what to do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is the cat's name?

Antebellum

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Antebellum?

She had pancreatitis that was resolved on her three day stay at the vet.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/3/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 4 months ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hello, again.

I'm sorry Antebellum was diagnosed with diabetes and pancreatitis. Thank goodness the pancreatitis was resolved while she was hospitalized. She's quite young to have developed diabetes, which typically happens in older cats, but, then again, illness knows no age.

I'm glad you were smart and didn't give her the full dose of insulin, since she hadn't eaten all her food. Never give any insulin unless she has eaten, or she could develop hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), which is very dangerous. Here is additional information:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/

----------

This site is excellent, especially for a cat parent with a newly diagnosed furry companion.

She most likely didn't have a bowel movement because she's not eating much and she may not be eating much because of her condition. If she was started on insulin at the vet's and was eating, drinking and eliminating normally, I suggest putting a call in to your vet, to let him/her know about these symptoms.

It's possible that she's not eating, due to being nauseated, and until you speak to your vet, you can give her Pepcid AC 10mg--1/4 of a tablet every 12 hours, to see if that helps. An empty stomach produces excess acid and excess acid leads to nausea. The generic of this acid reducer is called 'Famotidine' and is found in all pharmacies and supermarkets, Walmart, etc. It's less expensive and does the same thing. Just make sure you buy the regular strength, 1 mg., not the extra strength, 20mg. The tablet itself is very small, so 1/4 of it is even smaller and you should be able to give it to her in the conventional way, or if she's difficult to pill, try putting it in a very small amount of smooth (paté) wet food or a tsp. of plain, jarred baby food chicken containing NO onion or garlic products. Actually, you can offer her the baby food chicken and see if she'll eat it, so she's getting some nutrition. Beechnut Stage 1 chicken is a good one, but always read the labels.

If she hasn't had a b.m. by tomorrow, you can give her 1 oz. of 2% milk and that might help her go. You can also give her 1 tsp. of plain, canned pumpkin (NOT pie filling) every 12 hours. The natural fiber should help her have a b.m., but it's not a quick fix.

Definitely speak to her vet if this situation doesn't improve, soon.

I hope all will be well with Antebellum and please let me know how she's doing. Thanks!

Your satisfaction is my ultimate goal and I welcome any follow-up questions you may have on this subject, at no additional charge.

At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Best wishes,

Cher

Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist