Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

His left ear is tilted, he is off balance, when he shakes…

Customer Question
His left ear is...

His left ear is tilted, he is off balance, when he shakes his head he falls over, and stumbles and falls when he walks he isn't jumping, and isn't interested in treats

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?

We took him to the vet yesterday because his ear was icy and full of a thick crusty ear wax

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Before the visit he was just bothered by the ear, they treated him whit claro in his ear which has taken twive before Sailor he is 11

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Sailor

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sailor?

He is a main coon usually very active, and does not usually say no to treats

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/3/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 8 months ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 UC Davis graduate and practice owner. Please reply with a hello so I know we are connected before continuing

hello

I am very sorry to hear about this complication.

You are describing symptoms that are consistent with vestibular disease, or loss of equilibrium. It is possible that the ear drum may not have been intact and that the ear infection has progressed to inside the ear drum (otitis media/interna).

It is also important to note that some ear medications can also be ototoxic. Meaning, they can cause problems if they get inside the ear drum.

I would strongly encourage a second opinion from another vet, and it may be recommended that the ear medication be flushed out and the vet scopes the ear to see if the ear drum is intact or not.

Also,

I am not familiar with vets really using Claro in cats. It is only FDA labeled for dogs. Now, that doesn't mean a product can't be used in cats, but it would be what we call "extra-label" use.
Many drugs are used extra-label, for a purpose not what they were intended, but it makes me a bit nervous using Claro in a cat.

Definitely, worth getting a second opinion!

it's Sunday so most vet offices are closed, are we risking further damage if we wait until tomorrow

If it is a problem with ototoxicity and a reaction to the Claro, yes, a delay could cause some additional issues/symptoms.
Wish I knew for sure, but best I can answer from this side of the keyboard.

ok thank you for your time today, i need to see what options i have open to me

You are very welcome.

I hope all works out okay.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?