Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

16 year old outside cat. She is wheezing and is very

Customer Question
16 year old outside...

16 year old outside cat. She is wheezing and is very lethargic. Now she is laying in the flower bed outside and only moves 3 to 4 feet at a time without laying back down.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?

Scratchy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Scratchy?

Oh, she does not want to eat.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/3/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Scratchy. There's rarely just one thing going on in a 16 year old and her lethargy, anorexia, and wheezing at her age are likely to indicate a critically ill cat in need of the attention of her vet at your earliest convenience. While those signs are important , they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. Scratchy's vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests in an attempt to clarify why she's behaving in that manner. Degenerative conditions such as renal and hepatic insufficiencies and age-related malignancies are important considerations in such a cat. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.