Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Our cat did not have any issues with his eyes watering in…

Customer Question
Our cat did not...

Our cat did not have any issues with his eyes watering in the past. His brother scratched his eye a few months ago when they were playing. There is no swelling or infection, yet it now continues to water. Is there anything we can do to resolve this issue?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

You are answering the wrong question for me :-(

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

Our cat did not have any issues with his eyes watering in the past. His brother scratched his eye a few months ago when they were playing. There is no swelling or infection, yet it now continues to water. Is there anything we can do to resolve this issue?Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/4/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Yes, there is but a careful examination of that eye inclduing its nasolacrimal system will be necessary. My initial concern was an acquired blockage of the nasolacrimal system secondary to trauma to the medial canthus/eyelid, involving the lacrimal punctum/puncta and/or canaliculus/caniculi. This would have occurred when his brother scratched his eye. A blockage can be determined by cannulating the tear ducts and attempting to flush them.

Other causes of epiphora (excessive tears) include corneal mechanical irritation caused by misplaced or redundant eyelashes, entropion (a rolling of an eyelid into the cornea), dacryocystitis (inflammation/infection) of the nasolacrimal system, and ocular pain caused by a persistent conjunctivitis or keratitis (inflammation of the cornea due to trauma or infection) or a nasolacrimal foreign body such as a grass awn or parasite (eyeworm).

If your cat's vet isn't equipped or able to perform the testing needed in these cases, referral to a specialist veterinary ophthalmologist (www.acvo.org) may be suggested. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I am disappointed in how long it took to get this response yesterday and appreciate you acknowledging this. I would not have paid the fee if I knew this delayed response was going to happen. Back to the question I created this inquiry for. Our cat has zero signs of the injury...no visible infection or inflammation. It has been a few months since the accident happened. The only thing that makes us concerned is it is not natural to have the eye run. It is only one eye and it is not excessive. It looks like clear drainage/watering. I do not think anything about much, yet my wife since she wipes it all of the time. Is there a eye drop or solution we can prepare to flush the eye out to see if this helps? Or do you not recommend for us to try this versus going into the vet and have them preform a procedure which could be costly. Thanks for your prompt response.

You can certainly see if over the counter saline eye drops or artificial tears are of value but my gut feeling is that the eye and its lacrimal apparatus will need to be directly visualized for an accurate diagnosis and treatment. Chronic feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) infection should always be an important consideration in these eyes. If found, it's addressed with an antiviral ophthalmic preparation such as one containing cidofovir which can be ordered by his vet from a veterinary formulating pharmacy. Please continue our conversation if you wish.