Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She is 19 yrs old and has been walking in circles and hang…

Customer Question
She is 19 yrs...

She is 19 yrs old and has been walking in circles and hang her head to one side for about a month and crying a lot at night something I can give her to make her more comfortable. I know she is old but she eats like a horse and still keeps herself clean.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?

Chloe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chloe?

Not really she is in pretty good shape except for this.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/3/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Chloe is walking in circles and has her head tilted to one side. I am sorry to hear about the problem this is having. A head tilt and circling to one side can be caused by an inner ear infection, tumor, or a condition called "geriatric vestibular syndrome." The latter is self-resolving. Treatment is to keep her comfortable, which you can do by giving Benadryl to decrease nausea and allowing her to rest. An inner infection requires treatment from your veterinarian.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

She is not vomiting and how much benadryl do I give her.

The dose is 2 mg per pound of body weight. You can give this every 12 hours as needed.

Does that answer your question? I am still standing by.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry