Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is throwing up mucous and has had diarrhea with blood…

Customer Question
My cat is throwing...

My cat is throwing up mucous and has had diarrhea with blood in the stool. She is a little bit subdued and we took her to the Animal Hospital where she was given a fluid patch and a shot to relieve nausea/vomiting. This has been going on since yesterday morning and she didn't show an interest in eating last night, but drank water today. Not sure whether this is gastritis or something else. The blood work and x-rays that were taken were normal, and the vet said not to give her food for the next few hours.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

Not that I'm aware of--maybe some dried leaves or petals from a begonia plant.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

The cat's name is ***** ***** she is 15 years old but has always been in good health.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Splendid?

Not that I know of.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/3/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Splendid is having diarrhea with some blood in it and not eating normally. She received subcutaneous fluids and an injection for nausea. Do you happen to know if the blood work evaluated for the thyroid (i.e. T4) or the pancreas (i.e. fPL)? These are not part of routine blood testing and have to be specifically requested. They can be indications for nausea and diarrhea.