Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Diarriaha. Diarhrhia. None. Wet runs. Diarhea. Sasha 5m.

Customer Question
Diarhrhia Veterinarian's Assistant: Where...

Diarhrhia

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

None

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Wet runs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the cat eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the cat having trouble peeing or pooing?

Diarhea

Veterinarian's Assistant: How is the cat behaving differently?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious behavior changes. What is the cat's name and age?

Sasha 5m

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sasha?

Sneezes

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/3/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about Shasha's chronic loose stools.

It will be important to describe what sort of loose stools she has to try and localize the problem. Loose, frequent stools with mucous or bright red blood point more towards large bowel diarrhea or colitis, whereas just watery stools with no mucous point more toward small bowel disease.

Chronic diarrhea does cause changes in motility of the gut which can also lead to bacterial overgrowth in the gut. Probiotics such as Fortiflora, Proviable or Benebac can help replace appropriate bacteria.

Has she had stool samples checked to make sure that parasites aren't part of her problem? Have any other diagnostic tests been checked? Parasites are the most common reason for diarrhea in kittens.

Has she had a fecal culture to check for abnormal bacteria such as clostridia or salmonella?

Is she not gaining weight appropriately?

If she is wormed and treated for parasites appropriately but her loose stools continue then it is possible that she has a food allergy/sensitivity or inflammatory bowel disease and that she needs a low residue, easy to digest food or a hypoallergenic food to be able to properly digest and absorb her food and not have loose stools. At that point I highly recommend a trial of either Hills i/d or Purina Veterinary Diets EN. No treats, table food or flavored medications while she is on her food trial. If she does well we may be able to transition her to pet store sensitive stomach formulations made by Hills or Royal Canin brands.

In a young cat like this though parasites and abnormal bacteria are probably the most likely cause. Because eggs and cysts are shed intermittently they may not show up on every sample. Your veterinarian needs to look for protozoal parasites (like giardia, coccidia, toxoplasmosis, or tritrichomonas) as well as the usual worms. So I highly recommend that a fresh fecal sample be submitted to the lab rather than checking it in the clinic as these can be hard to find, and sometimes we need to check samples from several days in a row to find them. They can check for abnormal bacteria as well.

Here is a link to very thorough testing option for kittens with chronic diarrhea:

https://www.idexx.com/small-animal-health/directory-tests-services.html

Viral or bacterial infections are also possible causes of diarrhea in cats as is a dietary sensitivity, although usually dietary allergies/sensitivities show up later in life as they take a while to develop. If she is not improving or treating for parasites doesn't help discuss further diagnostics with your veterinarian such as testing for feline leukemia, feline immunodeficiency virus or other viruses.

In the meantime it may help to food fast her for 8-12 hours to stop gut spasms then offer a bland diet mix of 2/3 boiled, minced, white, skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled, plain, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow as well as increase her fluid intake. Probiotics such as Fortiflora, Proviable, or Benebac can help replace appropriate bacteria. You can add those to the bland diet mix.

I would also worm her with a good, gentle wormer like pyrantel, which covers the most common worms. She should be wormed twice, two weeks apart and then monthly until 6 months of age, then twice a year.

Make sure to clean out her litter box with hot soapy water, replace the litter fully and clean stools out immediately when she goes. This will break the parasite life cycle by removing eggs so she cannot reinfect herself.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian