Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My indoor cat is really lethargic, isn't drinking water and…

Customer Question
Hi, my indoor cat is...
Hi, my indoor cat is really lethargic, isn't drinking water and hasn't gone the bathroom in 4-5 days. She is not in any noticeable pain. Not eaten in 5 days. Purrs when you pet her but does not move much. Can walk about 15 feet before deciding to sit or lay down. Still let’s us brush her for an hour with her head down. I’ve tried to give her water with little success. Change water twice a day. Of course the vet is closed until Monday. I have rubbed her all over from head to toe but she doesn’t seem to have any pain.
She acts depressed- if that’s possible. Up until this week she has never let you carry her like a baby, but, suddenly she does. What to do?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/2/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Nessie. Regretfully, you've described a critically ill cat. Not eating or drinking for that legnth of time has left her badly dehydrated and electrolyte imbalanced and so she needs the attention of an on-call vet at your earliest convenience. Do you have a 24-hour facility to which you can bring Nessie?

Those black and white granules are flea feces and flea eggs, respectively. Heavy infestation of fleas can leave my patient anemic but this is usually a significant problem in kittens rather than a 7 year old. While her symptoms are important, they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder and so you're necessarily constrained by how much you can do for her at home. Eyedroppering a gruel of her regular food will replace some fluids and calories she's lacking but it appears she'll need to be hospitalized with critical care while waiting for the results of diagnostics to return. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.