Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I feed a community of TNR cats. One of the female cats went…

Customer Question
I feed a community...

I feed a community of TNR cats. One of the female cats went missing for a week. When she came back her one eye she kept closed. Now approx. a week later the eye is open but one pupil is larger than the other. Is Anisocoria brought on by disease or does it affect cats to loose sight in both eyes or maybe is her eye just bruised from a fight, scratch, etc.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?

Monkey, but I can't afford to take her to the vet. She is a stray that I had rounded up for a TNR program. The cats are at my place of employment.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the stray cat?

I can't think of any. Other than that she is fine. There is about 10 of them here that I took to get spayed and neutered. It cost me over a 100 dollars a week to feed them plus the ones in my neighborhood. I don't know what to do for her. I feel bad that I cant take her.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Did I just fall for a scam?
12/2/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Sorry for the long wait. I just logged in and saw that this question was sitting for a while. I'll go through your question and be with you shortly.

I think in this case the anisocoria is likely caused by some irritation to the eye. Pain in the eye can cause the pupil to constrict down. If the eye that was closed is the one with the smaller pupil, then that would make sense. If the eye that was closed is the one that is dilated, then I would start to be a little more concerned. In that case, I would worry that it's dilating to try to get light in. That happens when vision is impaired.

This could also just be something called Horner's. Usually the smaller pupil eye also has a drooping upper eyelid and raised third eyelid. There are many possible causes of Horner's, but typically we don't go through too much testing as most will resolve on their own over 1-2 months.

I probably wouldn't do much of anything in the way of treatment right now given the situation. I would just give it time to heal on it's own. If the eye looks painful where she is squinting or having thick discharge, then I would try to catch her and get it seen. Otherwise, just give it time to resolve on it's own over the next few weeks.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Is this considered another question to pay for if I repeat you to try and understand. The eye that swollen shut is the one that is dilated.

No, follow ups are all part of the original deposit.

This makes me more worried about vision if that is the dilated eye. It very well could be a detached retina or glaucoma that is causing the dilated pupil and pain/ squinting.

It's tough to know without doing a good ophthalmic exam. It doesn't sound like that is a realistic option here. I guess I would just continue to monitor it if the squinting is no longer present. If she is still painful and squinting, then I would get her seen so it can be resolved.

I'm sorry the one that is small is the one injured.
Sorry tired from 16 hour shift.
It does look better than it did when she first came back.

Oh, perfect. A constricted pupil is just a sign of pain/ discomfort. That makes more sense. In that case, you're probably dealing with a herpes virus outbreak and probably a small herpes ulcer or herpes conjunctivitis. These usually run their course over a couple weeks and then resolve. Eye drops help, but you have to be able to do them 3-4 times a day to make them effective.

I get it, I'm 13 into my 14 hour shift myself... almost done!

Ok thank you. I guess if it doesn't heal itself or look better soon, I will have to pass a hat. Thanks again.

You're welcome. I hope she's back to normal soon.

Hey, that's a good lookin cat. Yup, looks like a mildly miotic pupil and a painful eye. Not too bad though- I bet it'll heal up on it's own over the next 1-2 weeks.

Great! You have a good morning.

You too.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian