Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has always been very overweight and she vomits a few…

Customer Question
My cat has always been...
My cat has always been very overweight and she vomits a few times a month (this has been normal for her since i rescued her 8 years ago). She's been to the vet regularly up until a couple years ago when I couldn't afford it. She had been to the vet last year and was sick but for other symptoms (she had runny nose) and not since. I want to know if there are typical symptoms associated with an overweight cat that's overweight which are normal given those factors
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Typo on last sentence--
Should read
... Associated with overweight cat that's also a senior cat... (She's 10)
12/2/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs replied 4 months ago
Cher
Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hello, again.

My apologies that you did not receive an earlier answer. Different experts are online at various times and I just signed on and read your question.

You can try to help her not throw up, by raising her food and water bowls to chest level and also make sure she's not eating too quickly. For dry food, add a new, washed golf ball in the middle of her bowl, so she can eat around the food and for wet food, serve on a flat plate, not in a bowl and mash it down with a fork, so it's evenly spread over the plate and not mounded up in the middle. Feed a smooth "paté" type canned food, without slices, chunks, pieces.

Because your kitty is a senior and overweight, she's prone to develop diabetes, hyperthyroidism, liver, kidney issues and other medical conditions. Symptoms of all these conditions can include vomiting, inappetite or not eating at all; sometimes overeating, lethargy, upset stomach (constipation or diarrhea), excessive thirst and/or excessive urination.

For the moment, you can give her 1/4 of a 10mg. tablet of Pepcid AC (generic is Famotidine and is less expensive) 30 minutes before her first meal of the day and repeat in 12 hours. This will help with any nausea and help settle her stomach. She may have acid reflux or excess stomach acid and this will help with the vomiting. Here is more information:

https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/famotidine-pepcid-for-dogs-and-cats/

------------

Feed her several smaller meals during the day, unless she's on 'free feed' of dry food, which can also lead to obesity, so change her to a feeding schedule.

At this time, it would be advisable to have your kitty evaluated in person by her vet, senior blood work done, including a Free T4 thyroid panel, and a discussion about putting her on a food that will help her lose weight. More exercise would also be good for her, too, if she doesn't have any medical condition that would prevent that.

I hope all will be well with your furry girl!

Your satisfaction is my ultimate goal and I welcome any follow-up questions you may have on this subject, at no additional charge.

At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Best wishes,

Cher

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Cerecita
Cher
Cher
Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs