Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Alot actually. Her abdomen suddenly swelled Sunday. I took…

Customer Question
Alot actually. Veterinarian's Assistant:...

Alot actually.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?

Her abdomen suddenly swelled Sunday. I took her to the vet on Monday and they ran xrays. The only things that could be seen were fluid buildup

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Fluid buildup, 2 spots on her left lung and some gas pockets...they couldn't see any of the organs because of the fluid.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

Mischief, 9

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/1/2017
Cat Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Good afternoon.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

I would be happy to help you!

They need to do an abdominal ultrasound first

And then aspirate some of that fluid out for analysis

Did they not offer you an ultrasound as an option?

They also need to scan the chest at the same time
Paul

They did xrays which only showed fluid, 2 spots on left lung and gas pockets. They did an ultrasound amd said the same then they drew 400ml fluid out and ran diagnostics and bloodwork. They came back saying they found trace cancer cells and suspect it travelled to her lungs already...BUT said they could not rule out any infections, diseases or body response process. They said there was nothing they could do and I should put her down, mind you they can't tell me specifically if what's in the lungs is cancer or another infection and they don't know where the fluid is coming from.
Im really feeling like i should take her to another vet office for another opinion.

I agree with you

Did they send the fluid out for analysis or did they look at it themselves

If they did not send it out for a pathologist to look at it then switch clinics

My wife is a veterinary pathologist

I'm not sure if they sent it out. They drew the fluid and blood around 4 on Monday and the vet called me at 1 on Tuesday. Not sure if that's ample time to send it out.

Could be

I would like to get a copy of that report so my wife can look at it

Did they scan the chest cavity?

They did not scan the chest cavity. Here are the copies of the report.
20171201_194628.png2017120...png20171201_194628.png2017120...png20171201_194806.png2017120...png20171201_194903.png2017120...png20171201_194921.png2017120...png20171201_194953.png2017120...pngScreenshot_20171201-195340.jpgScreens...jpg

Thanks.

So they are thinking neoplastic effusion but have not localized the cancer.

It looks like they sent the fluid out to a pathologist so that is good.

And you did say that there was fluid in the chest cavity also right?

Paul

Fluid is in the abdomen, but left lung shows 2 spots

Okay so no fluid in chest cavity- that is good

Well, I will have my wife look at the cytology report and then I will get back to you

I dont see an ultrasound report in the pictures you sent me

Paul

There was too much fluid for them to see anything on the ultrasound, so they just used the ultrasound to guide for the fluid draw.

Okay, they need to go back and scan the abdomen now

We need to know what is going on

Paul

My wife had a look at the report

She feels that this is most likely cancer BUT agrees that we need to scan the abdomen again to find the primary to see if we can help.

Okay?
Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian