Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat right eye has been swollen and oozing a clear liquid…

Customer Question
My cat right eye...

My cat right eye has been swollen and oozing a clear liquid for days sometimes it is crusted around the lids. One vet told me to use neosporin, whiich lessened the swelling but did nothing for the constant draining of the clear liquid

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Czaris and he's 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Czaris?

We have been battling lots of fleas this year. He is definitely an outdoor cat. loves to be out, but I keep him in at night. We are in Washington state in a small town and he's a hunter mice, bunnies, a few birds

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/1/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 7 months ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly. My apologies that you did not receive an earlier answer; different experts are online at various times and I recently signed on and was notified of your question. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Hello, again.

From your description of Czaris' eye, he may have an eye infection, he may have a scratched cornea, or possibly a tiny foreign object in his eye, to cause the oozing of clear liquid. The swelling would go along with whatever is bothering his eye. I'm surprised your vet did not prescribe antibiotic eye drops for Czaris. Neosporin is not made to be place IN the eye.

I'm not sure, from your description if Czaris actually was seen by a vet, because you said a vet 'told' you to use Neosporin. If not, he definitely needs to be seen in person so his eye can be evaluated and then, he can be prescribed the best treatment. For the moment, you can apply warm compresses to the eye to help draw out infection and and also, you can use a plain, warm, wrung out tea bag on the eye for about 5-10 minutes, as he will tolerate; the tannins in the tea also help to draw out infection. If going to the vet is a problem, you can order an antibiotic ophthalmic ointment called Terramycin online. You 'might' be able to find it in a pet supply store or a feed and grain store, but it's difficult. I know this site has it and you can ask for next day delivery:

https://www.entirelypets.com/terramycin.html

------------

As far as the flea problem, if he is an outdoor cat and hunter, he definitely needs to be protected from fleas by a monthly topical flea treatment sold by your vet, like Advantage, Frontline, Seresto, or any other one your vet recommends. Do NOT use any flea treatment from the supermarket or pet store (unless they carry Advantage or Frontline), as these have proven ineffective and causes serious adverse reactions, sometimes, FATAL! Only get the flea treatment from your vet.

Also, because he's a hunter, he can contract certain diseases from the critters he hunts (and I assume, eats), so he should be fully vaccinated and up to date on his boosters. Eating rodents that have ingested rat poison, can poison him 'by proxy.' The poison in the rat killer is usually a substance that removes the clotting factor from the blood, so if he is poisoned by this, he could bleed out, internally--very dangerous--so, have the vet do some blood work as well, to make sure everything checks out normally.

I hope all will be well with Czaris and his eye is feeling better very soon! Please let me know how he's coming along. Thanks!

Your satisfaction is my ultimate goal and I welcome any follow-up questions you may have on this subject, at no additional charge.

At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Best wishes,

Cher