Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She is an older cat. 17 yrs. She is fairly active and goes…

Customer Question
She is an older...

She is an older cat. 17 yrs. She is fairly active and goes outside most days. She's in a good mood most of the time. Her right leg is distended at the shoulder and sometime she limps. We are giving her Cosequin pink bottle 2x's daily. She's over 10lb. She is not overweight. I'm wondering could we give her magnesium oil spray? We use it on ourselves and it helps stiffness.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?

Not we're aware of. It's been distended for 3 year....we assume it's arthritis as she is 17/1/2 years old now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Felicia

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Felicia?

She is regular in bowel movement and urination. Drink plenty of water and has a good appetite.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/1/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I have never used magnessium oil spray on animals. I would advise against it as cats are pretty sensitive to electrolyte changes in the body. The kidneys are responsible for maintaining normal levels, so I wouldn't want to do that without any toxicology studies of it's use in cats.

Instead, I would use pain meds that are safe in cats as needed. There are a few options: Onsior, Meloxicam, Buprenorphine, Gabapentin. Any of these are decent options. Onsior and Meloxicam are anti-inflammatories. Buprenorphine is an opiate type pain med. Gabapentin has been used more recently in cats and I find that it works well for pain and also for sedation at higher doses.

Topically, I would just go with alternating cold and hot packs right over the swelling.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.