Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He’s limping and not putting weight on his back leg. I’m not…

Customer Question
He’s limping and not...

He’s limping and not putting weight on his back leg

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?

I’m not sure. He’s indoor/outdoor. He came inside yesterday limping

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Xanderby is his name. (Zand-ur-bee). He’s about 8 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Xanderby?

He’s fixed and his shots

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/30/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Xanderby is limping on one of the back legs. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. The most common cause for limping in young cats is either from an abscess or an orthopedic injury like a broken bone. An abscess can sometimes be found by searching for an area for swelling or skin punctures. A cat's skin heals very quickly so skin punctures are not always seen. If there is any doubt then a x-ray would be diagnostic for ruling out a fracture.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

I’m not finding any swelling or punctures. It does hurt him when I touch that leg.

With no swelling or punctures and pain being present, then a fracture should be ruled out next. In the meantime, try to keep him confined so he is not doing much running or jumping behavior. There are no reliable and safe pain medications that can be used for cats that are available over-the-counter unfortunately. Your veterinarian will be able to give him something that will be effective and is also safe.